Alegria is still having a tough time with learning to take the bottle. The specialists have continually checked her for what the call "oral defensiveness" which is common among babies and children with clefts. After a frustrating afternoon yesterday, I did a little research online. Alegria's struggles with the bottle seem to fit the descriptions I have read. Basically because these children have had so many negative painful things happen already to their mouths they begin to become very anxious about anything in their mouth. Alegria seems to especially dislike anything plastic such as a bottle or pacifier, while she likes to suck on my finger. So last night when she was especially calm, I decided to take the pediatric dentist's advice and try to nurse her. It was the calmest most relaxing feeding we have had in some time!!! It is difficult to know exactly how much milk she got, but I estimated between 10-20 ccs. She was willing to work at it for about 10 minutes, whereas with the bottle she is only trying for about 1-2 minutes. She was very calm throughout which was so encouraging!
She also did a little better with the bottle at one feeding today and took 5ccs. I tried to nurse her again this morning, but she was already upset and hungry and so I did not try very long as it was obviously just frustrating her more.
The other thing I read last night is that this projectile vomiting does not seem uncommon with babies with cleft palate either. I have slowed her gavage feedings down to 30 minutes which has seemed to help somewhat.
I continue to learn through trial and error. Please continue to pray God will give me wisdom and direction and that He will help Ali to overcome this oral defensiveness and learn to either take the bottle or nurse.
Jill
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Jill,
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with you and little Alegria. You are doing such a great job caring for this sweet little one the Lord has given you.
I spent nights in tears with our 10th baby, who was a failure to thrive little guy. He just wouldn't latch on and wouldn't latch on. And sometimes my tears of frustration and hurt just fell, especially in the middle of the night.
I had to pump and feed him with an dropper and then a bottle and finally he learned how to nurse after a chiropractor adjusted his neck and jaw alignment.
I know this is a shot in the dark, but have you had a chiropractor evaluate her? The thought just occurred to me as I was writing this so I thought I'd share it just in case.
I know how hard it was for me to work with a failure to thrive baby even after having had 9 other babies. I can only imagine the learning curve that you are going through.
May the Lord give you wisdom, strength and joy as you care for this little gift from the Lord.
In Him,
Laralee
http://PlymouthRockRanch.com
Recording the Faithfulness and Provision of God for Future Generations
I am a friend of your parents, Ted & Marta from Church, I just wanted to say hello and tell you what a beautiful family you have. What a blessing. The strength that I see from your posts is truly wonderful. I have a song I believe from Amy Grant running through my head, Oh magnify the Lord and let us exalt his His name together! What an encouragement you are event through your struggles. Key here is being that you will come THROUGH all of this!
ReplyDeleteI know Ted & Marta are anxious to be with each of you. We continue to pray for straight paths for you in the healing process, great grace to walk where you must and abundant alegria always!!! What a perfect name!!! Blessings and our prayers continue toward your family. Russell & Michele Percy