The new button seems to be an improvement, but we are certainly still in the learning/adjusting phase.
Okay I know that most of you reading Ali's blog have never had to deal with a g-tube, but I have a couple questions for those who have.
When I vent (ie. burp) the new AMT g-tube, it is much easier to get the trapped gas out of her stomach and into the tube, but just like Bard the gas still just ends up trapped in the tube without much escaping unless I vent her and then detach the tubing, reprime it, and reattach it. The pockets of air ALWAYS seem to be the last thing out of her stomach. Is there an easier way to do this? Is this because she is getting breast milk instead of formula?
Thanks,
Jill
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm not sure why .... OH - I just had a thought. How big of a syringe are you using? We used to have several 5's or 10cc syringes filled up with milk, laid next to her as we kept drawing out more and more. One day, we got ahold of a 30 cc syringe (while in the hospital) and started using that .. now we've graduated to 60 cc. Not that the full volume is what comes out, but it makes it easy to draw out till you get to the gas. We also measured that there is something like 2-3 cc in the tubing. Not much to worry about, in most cases. Then again, she's so tiny, maybe that much air is a big deal to her. It's been awhile since we worried about every speck, but we still do flush and try getting all the air out.
ReplyDeleteUsually when we give some mylicon and a bit of water to flush and wait 10 mins or so ... the gas gathers together or something, so it's easier to get it out.
Not sure if this is even close to what you were asking.
Also, sometimes when we turn her side to side, different positions, it helps with getting to the gas pocket.
Good news for you - eventually she will tolerate some of the gas better or burp some out on her own, as your other kids eventually did. She didn't have the fundoplication surgery, if I'm remembering correctly, right? We seem to be doing less venting than we used to have to do.