Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So why the G-tube?

Last week I asked everyone to pray Alegria would take her bottle well so that we could avoid the G-tube. I was very apprehensive of adding another surgery and wanted so badly for her not to need it! At first I think I was even fearful of having to get a G-tube, but I did quickly come to the place where I could honestly say that I would trust God in this too. Not my will, but thine O Lord.

The next day we had an appointment with Alegria's primary care doctor Dr. Egli whom I really trust. We discussed the G-tube and my concerns. He basically said that although he did not see the surgery as mandatory, if it were his child he would definitely choose the surgically placed g-tube over the ng-tube down the throat. He also clearly described the procedure and how simple it generally is to both place and remove. The one final suggestion he had was to talk with other parents who had been through it.

So we did just that. We talked (or emailed) numerous familes, and also with doctors and nurses. They all said basically the same thing. The G-tube sounds like a much more invasive way to feed Alegria, but it is not really. In actuality it is only really a one-time more invasive procedure, and then it is much easier, safer, and better. Many parents said that had felt just like us and had tried to avoid it and afterwards wishing they had gone ahead with it sooner.

So what will it change? Alegria will not have the tube down her throat or the tape on her face constantly irritating her delicate tissues. I will not have the tube to place down her throat sometimes several times a day due to her pulling it out or throwing it up. There will be no risk of her tube getting misplaced and feeding her milk directly into her lungs. Just removing the tube may help with her vomiting, but it may not. It is possible that the g-tube may actually make the vomiting worse. While it is obviously not the reason we are going ahead with the surgery, a secondary benefit of having the g-tube is that it should also make it very simple to burp her (which also may help with the vomiting).

So tomorrow we face more change, and we can't really know how it will all affect Alegria, but God does. I know that He has directed our every step thus far and I trust he will continue to do so.

As I was considering how to end this post, the hymn "Whate'er my God ordains is right" came to mind. It begins thus:

Whate’er my God ordains is right:
His holy will abideth;
I will be still whate’er He doth;
And follow where He guideth;

We hope and pray this g-tube will make life a little easier and more comfortable for Alegria while she learns to take the bottle. We continue to trust God regardless and rejoice amidst these trials.

Jill

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for you always and for God's guidance in what needs to be done for Alegria and for the entire family ... we love you ... the jeffcoats'

    ReplyDelete