Well last night, things were not looking great. Ali did not keep anything down for over 3 hours. She didn't have a wet diaper for probably 8. I was trying not to panic, but it was looking to me like she was going to need a trip to the ER for IV fluids. The positive thing was that she was now starting to keep some fluids down, but I was concerned is was too little too late.
I had a call into our doctor, but he was delivering a baby so we had to wait a bit. Al decided to come home early as it looked like we would be heading to the hospital once I heard back from the doctor. But much to my surprise after I told the doctor all that was going on (her total volume for the day, the rate at which I was feeding her, that she was improving though still dehydrated, etc.) he said we were doing everything right and that we could wait until morning to see how she was doing. Dr. Egli has to be one of the best doctors I have ever come across. He is so understanding and willing to teach, he trusts my instincts, and he does not seem to overreact to situations! Often his response to me basically boils down to you are doing every right now just be patient. :-) This is typically just the advice I need too.
When Ali is sick like this, she usually gets held pretty much constantly. It is really the only easy way to keep a close eye on her and also make sure she stays upright so that she doesn't choke when she vomits. Yesterday I held her pretty much from 3 until close to midnight (a bit challenging being pretty sick myself). I expected to hold and watch her through the night too, but when Al came home early, he took over and held and watched her most of the night so I could rest. What a wonderful husband I have who takes care of us both!
Ali kept improving too as the hours past. At first she was vomiting about every 15 minutes. Then it was about once an hour. And then by the time Al took over, she was only gagging a bit once in a while. By morning she had had 3 wet diapers, and has continued to improve today. She's still on just electrolytes right now making sure that we get her fully rehydrated, but I am hoping to get to try some breastmilk later tonight or in the morning. I am feeling much improved myself, and looking forward to some better sleep tonight.
Thanks for you prayers!
Jill
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment