Friday, November 12, 2010

Snotty nose and ouchy g-tube site

Well we have enjoyed our respite from all the sickness, but apparently it has come to an end :-(

Ali is fighting an upper respiratory infection which started last night.  I hope and pray that this will NOT go into her lungs.  She has A LOT of mucus right now, but it is draining well it seems, and she is only occasionally coughing at this point.  Please pray that she will be able to fight this infection quickly and that the rest of the family will stay healthy! 

On top of her head cold, Alegria is having A LOT of skin issues right now.  The skin around her g-tube is VERY irritated right now (think very painful diaper rash).  I had been keeping diaper medicine on it the last few days, but it has only continued to worsen.  It seems very yeasty as she also has a similar diaper rash right now.  I began putting some anti-fungal medicine on it today along with some cortisone.  It is certainly very uncomfortable for her.  I would appreciate prayers for wisdom for me and quick relief for her.

We expect the new baby in about a month.  I hoping and praying that everyone ESPECIALLY ALI will be healthy for the birth of the baby!  We seem to have a birth plan in place now which is a great relief to me!!!

Thanks for keeping us in your prayers!
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    When Jethro had his terrible diaper rash before his last surgery, they gave me Desenex powder to put on it. I think it's just an anti-fungal. They also gave him some heavy duty prescription cream, but I have continued to use the powder whenever he starts to get a rash and it clears it right away.

    I don't know what all it has in it, but it is pleasant smelling. :-) Anyway, it might be worth a shot, along with whatever else you are doing...I am assuming powder around the stoma would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it really is yeasty, Vusion is a really good cream, and maybe it's what Mrs. Dole mentioned above - it smells like rosewater. :) If I remember correctly, it's expensive, but it works so well that you don't need it for long. If you email me later (because I can't seem to remember things for too long these days), I'll tell you about the g-tube pads we used, and we can try to figure out if they would work for Ali. They were from Ruth at Snap-ez.com - she made thin pads from a sherpa inner material. When we started using them instead of gauze pads (because we always seemed to have some risk of leakage), we were able to stop using ointments, finally. Plus, they are cute! The ointment we used preventatively (only needed rarely after we got the pads) was Calmoseptine, which is OTC. It has g-tube sites as one of the indications on its label, and has baking soda in it, and a oil base, and I think Calamine in it? It had that color and smell. We didn't need to use much, and a small tub cost maybe about $6? I just don't recall it working so well as a healing ointment - I think it didn't stick well if the skin barrier was breeched.

    ReplyDelete