Alegria is over her cold now, but she is still battling reflux. It too is improving, but it just makes helping her to gain back the weight she lost more challenging. Before we were sick, my milk supply was just barely sufficient for her needs; now it is not. In December I started giving her coconut milk to boost her calories a bit, after reading the suggestion from other families of children with g-tubes, and this was working well. Now with the reflux resurfaced, it is not so easy.
I was fairly overwhelmed the other night by it all. She NEEDS more calories, and she is EXTREMELY sensitive to even what I eat, so how can I possible meet her needs if my milk supply is decreasing? I really do not think she would tolerate formula well and even though she is almost 1 year old I can not switch her to cow milk either because she does not do well with casein. Finally out of desperation I begged God for wisdom. A few minutes later, I shared my frustrations with my husband. His immediate response was why not give her goat's milk? I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of that. We had given this to one of our other children when I was unable to nurse him any longer, and it worked wonderfully. So yesterday I went to buy goat milk for Ali, and last night she got her first feeding of it. She kept it down just fine. She has had another feeding today, and did great too.
Yesterday I also did some more research into boosting my milk supply. I have been using a tea called Mother's Milk which HAD helped significantly, but one thing I was told early on was that with exclusive pumping, herbs lose their effectiveness over time. The galactogogue (something which increases milk supply) I found highly recommended on Kellymom.com is called Fenugreek. The tea I have been drinking does have this, but only in very small quantities. The interesting thing about Fenugreek is that it smells like maple syrup, and one way you know you are taking enough is that you begin to smell like maple syrup too. Al stopped by the store on his way home last night and picked some up, so soon Alegria and I both will be smelling of maple syrup :-D I am hoping and praying that it will work to increase my milk supply too!
Why do I continue to be amazed when God provides the wisdom I need when I just humbly ask Him for it?
Continued prayer requests:
To see continued improvement with her reflux and digestion issues
That I would be able to get the provide her with the necessary calories each day
Weight gain
A significant increase in my milk supply
Thanking and praising God once again,
Jill
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Another way to boost your supply is to eat alfalfa sprouts, it will boost over night. I pupmed for 8 months with Arianna, it always helped me. think about what cow eats, alfalfa, and they produce milk like crazy! hope it helps. and I hope the weight starts to come back quickly.
ReplyDeleteJulianna