Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jehovah Jireh

I have shared so much of our journey over the last 4 years here.  I have shared my highs and lows and the joys and sorrows as we cared for and then grieved our Alegria.

There is one area where I have been very cautious about sharing though, probably partly due to pride and also largely because I did not ever want to come across as asking or begging for anything.  That area was the area of our finances.  I am ready to share more now because our need has been completely met and also because I think it is important to recognize how challenging finances can be for families caring for special needs children.

When Alegria was born, we were debt free except for the 2 houses we owed on.  We didn't even have a single credit card.  We also were self-pay, in other words we had no insurance, but we were a part of an amazing health care sharing ministry.  We had our doubts as to whether or not the ministry would be able to completely cover Alegria's medical needs.  We were strongly encouraged by the hospital to apply for government assistance.  We honestly struggled trying to make the right decision.  In the end, we choose to continue trusting God to meet Ali's needs through Samaritan Ministries.  And He did so more abundantly than we could have ever possibly imagined.  Through Samaritan God  provided the funds needed to cover the almost $200,000 of medical bills we faced during Ali's 27 months.

Fairly soon after Ali's birth though we applied for 3 credit cards.  Money was tight.  My husband had taken a significant pay cut and the work I did from home had completely dried up.  Our annual income was cut by over 25%.  My husband was also working close to 80 hour weeks.  And now in addition to the needs of our large family of 9, we had just added a daughter with special needs which also meant more expenses.  It wasn't the medical expenses that were challenging because as I said Samaritan Ministries covered those costs completely.  It was all the non-medical costs that were challenging, from the special and expensive gluten-free, dairy-free diet that I went on to help her digestion to the technically non-medical needs of a hospital grade breast pump or her feeding tube supplies to the convenience/fast food purchases we made because neither Al or I had the time or energy to shop and prepare our typical home cooked meals to the simply unwise purchases we made simply because we were too overwhelmed and stressed... we started spiraling into credit card debt.  For almost 4 years now we have struggled unsuccessfully to dig out from that burden of debt.  It has been honestly very hard to accept this burden at times.  Many times it felt as though there was no hope that we would ever be free from these debts. There have been many feelings of guilt and shame and frustration, but that never changed that we would have done anything for the opportunity to care for our Alegria Elizabeth.  She was certainly worth it all!

I am so excited and thankful to be able to share that TODAY I paid the last of the credit card bills off!  Jehovah Jireh our provider has provided abundantly for us.  Our burden has been lifted.   Praise be to our Awesome and Amazing God who does all things good in His perfect timing!

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Eph 3:20-21

1 comment:

  1. Praise God! I know all about the burden of debt and then the freedom felt of having paid it off. We love Samaritan Ministries too - they paid most of Lilly's massive bills. God does meet all our needs - and help us out of our mistakes when we let Him! Sometimes it just seems to take a long time (by our standards).

    ReplyDelete