Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jehovah Jireh... Continued

We just returned from vacation in our NEW-to-us van!!! We continue to praise God again for his provision! I promised to share all the details, so here is the story of our new red van...

Our old van has been rapidly deteriorating for some time. It was honestly to the point we were seriously doubting the safety of continuing to drive, but we did not have the funds to replace it either.

We have been given numerous generous gifts in the recent weeks since Ali died and had a small surplus, but still we didn't expect to be able to save enough for van for another couple months. I had been browsing the classifieds and craigslist not expecting to really find anything reliable AND affordable, but just watching for a great deal.

Wednesday I saw several that caught my eye. Wednesday, I really thought I should be packing and cleaning, but I was also concerned about putting 400 plus miles on our old van.

The kids and I went to look at a local van with a motivated seller. The more I looked at it, the less I liked it. It just didn't look like it had been well maintained.

I called Al and asked if I should make the hours drive to see another with a very motivated seller. I had so much to be doing at home to get ready for our trip in 2 days. Al told me to go look at it and if it looked promising he would come look after work.

Wow did it look promising! The asking price was below the KBB price. It did have high miles, but it had very well maintained. It was another Chevy Express like the first one I looked at. This was great because it gave me a reference point to compare to.

There were a few minor things which it needed, some immediately. New tires, A/C recharged, driver's side mirror replaced. But of all these the most critical was an additional bench seat. It was only currently an 8 passenger.

But it started up beautifully. Very quiet engine. It had no rust on the body or undercarriage. It also had a nice exhaust system and a muffler unlike the big blue van :D.

Al came to look after work. He was just as impressed. He went over all the systems carefully. The lady that was selling it seemed genuinely honest and upfront. Telling us all the known issues before we even asked.

We decided to buy it. We offered her a little less than what she was asking after pricing the seat and tires and she accepted!

We spent most of the day Thursday and Friday doing the necessary things to make the van ready to drive.

We headed to the junkyard and picked up a additional seat. It was filthy but it was in otherwise good condition. The girls and I sent quite awhile detailing it. When we were finished, it didn't even look like the same seat.

It wasn't at all how I planned to spend the week preparing for vacation. Nor was it how I planned to spend the day Friday. But God had once again provided for our every need. He had given us beautiful, quiet, comfortable, and safer van to drive!!!

We headed out much later than we had planned, but driving a new van that we hadn't planned either!!!

Al and I spent much of the trip saying we just couldn't believe it. The van handled the 500 mile round trip beautifully!! God has been so kind and generous to us!!

Thank you Lord!!!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment